Dinner Table Talks


Yesterday at the dinner table, I was eating with the Wicks family, a couple who have graciously welcomed me into their home  while I have been playing with the England Beach Volleyball Team, and the subject of writing resumes came up. Sitting around the wooden table sharing ginger chicken and mango salsa, we talked about how many athletes get writers block when writing a personal statement and resume. Many athletes feel that all they have done in life is play sports, and they don’t realize the skills and strengths that come with being an athlete. For example, playing team sports develops your collaborative and negotiating skills as you learn to deal with difficult situations and people. Also you learn how to become outcome-oriented and learn how to take on challenges. As well as being a competitor, you become a supportive and caring team mate. Athletes also learn to be objective, open to criticism and work diligently to get better. When understanding the qualities associated with being athlete, you realize that there are so many things you can write about. Across the table we discussed how hard it is sometimes to notice all the good qualities about ourselves. We often dwell on all our imperfections and then ignore the things that we are great at because it just seems so normal and natural. But in reality, when we look at ourselves with a self-praising eye we will notice how we are all uniquely spectacular.
I decided to give myself a little self-praise to start my day positively, and allow myself to use my strengths more efficiently. I wanted to share some of the things I felt were most important in my reflections. I hope reading this will promote others to give themselves compliments sometimes.
There are so many people in the world that seem to take on each day by talking their way to success, but I am more of an action person. I don’t feel accomplished unless I physically do what I tell myself I need to do. I am a ‘list’ sort of person, I wake up and write a list of all things I need to do, and then I mark those things off as I do them. I hate procrastinating; waiting to do anything stresses me out and I love to do every piece of work to perfection. I cannot stand being mediocre at anything, and challenges excite me. For example, playing beach volleyball has been a huge challenge because I have had to adjust to the sand and a different style of play, but the fact that it is a challenge makes me determined to succeed. I hate to lose more than I love to win; I am my biggest competitor when it comes to mentality. I hate the words “I can’t” and I am determined to say,  “I can.” I am not afraid to say what’s on my mind. I am determined; I take on adversity by pushing my way through it, I feel that fearlessness brings success and obstacles cannot defeat you. I am a loving, dedicated, and supportive friend, and I will do anything if a friend needs help. My friends and family inspire me because they have conquered many difficulties, and I strive to make them proud by giving back when I can.

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” – Marianne Williamson