First blog: Introduction


        For the past year I have been hesitant about starting a blog, although extremely eager to share my thoughts about being a student-athlete and working towards my superior goals. In attempts to begin this blog I have sat here for hours trying to figure out how to make a grand entrance into the blogger scene but have been left with my main plan for this blog which is to be honest and open about my plain, true thoughts. I was inspired to write my first blog by a book I have recently read titled "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. She emphasizes throughout her text the importance of finding a passion and allowing that passion to take time and energy in your life. It is through this idea that I decided to become an active blogger and write about my passion; fitness. I am attempting to understand different aspects around fitness including psychological, physical, and emotional components. I will update this blog as  I read more books, train harder and smarter, and deal with emotional conflicts with training, team dynamics, and personal issues. Last year I read a book titled "The Mindful Path Through Worry and Rumination" by Sameet Kumar and was struck by this important concept of 'mindfulness'. He wrote, "You have to accept this very moment with all of its flaws and imperfections as your starting point to make the radical changes that will lead to a more enjoyable and satisfying life." With this I am hoping to understand different components of fitness in order to build on the the athlete I am today, and become the being I have hopes to be in the years to come. 

            Being 20 years old with a year left at University I often get asked the question, "What do you want to do once you leave Miami?" or "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?" After spending time figuring out how to answer these questions I have made clear goals. Although they may seem a little outlandish I have written them down and made myself a promise to work towards them in my next prime years. As Robert Browning wrote, in a reference by Gretchen Rubin, "a mans reach should exceed his grasp, or what's heaven for?" It is extremely important to have these goals because it gives me motivation and inspiration each time I step out on the court, into the weight room, or onto the field to have a purpose and to be mindful about how I do things. I want to document my journey to allow others to find that purpose and motivation to achieve their personal goals and to find their passion. I hope to give people (like my younger sister) a reason to create goals a little out of their reach so that if they fall short of them they are still better off than where they started.