A snowy day in Indy

            Today I woke up beside a window that had been frozen on the inside. I checked my phone right away to find that it was a mere -42 degrees outside with the windchill, not including that there was a power outage in the dorms. Aside from my initial shock, coming from a humid 70 degree Miami average, I thought to myself 'hmm I guess I can't go to the gym today.'
            I looked on my daily quote update on my phone to find a simple but intriguing quote by Napoleon Hill, "If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way." The idea of doing 'great things' is sometimes intimidating, it scares us from taking a first step. But once you make your first stride it motivates you to keep moving forward. The quote brought me to the realization that the weather was not a good enough excuse to keep me from working out. It is easy to get side tracked, to conclude that a workout won't be possible because weather conditions won't allow it, but the fact of the matter is that any small effort is still progression forward. It is easy to give up when you don't want to do things, but that's when you must push even harder to fight past that urge to stop. So, when my desire to workout was extremely low, I forced myself to conduct a small workout in the bedroom (see exercises below).
            As proud as I am of this workout, I'm still left with a bitter taste of dissatisfaction. Being in a division 1 volleyball program, and having played with and against some very impressive athletes around the world, I have created an immunity to satisfaction after a workout. On a regular basis I am use to being pushed to the point in which I am highly sore, excessively fatigued, or queazy and I have become dissatisfied with a workout unless I feel any of the three. With that said, effort is most important when progressing toward my goals. It's amazing how something as simple as a small and relevant quote can motivate you.

1) 3 sets of 45 second planks
2) 3 sets of 10 push-ups superset with a progression of 10 to 15 to 20 lying leg throw downs 
3) With a resistant band:
3 sets of 10:
fire hydrants, single-leg bridges, and glute kickbacks on both legs 
4) 3 sets of 30 oblique crunches on both sides superset with 15 dips